Tuesday, 30 December 2014

RECORDING BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES

When this year started I was an independent girl looking to find herself. I had vowed to take the path of singlehood to discover myself. To understand who Jacquie is, and to know what kind of man she wants by her side. I had been alone for 7 months and I couldn’t be happier. Well, that was the case until I was struck by cupid’s arrow in February.

I met this young man who was handsome, charming, principled, and most of all he was spiritual. I knew right there that I had found the man for me. The first sign was when he went down on one knee before our friends and asked me to be his lady. He made me feel special. Like a little girl about to step in her glass slippers and rock the world. That was the beginning of beautiful memories. Memories I knew I would hold dear in my heart as time passed by.

Today as I write this, I am single again. Not because love did me wrong, but because not all good things are meant to last. I fell in love with this young man. He taught me how to laugh more. He appreciated every time I made a change for the better. He spoke highly of me to his friends and family. He loved me and I adored him. Life always seemed endurable with him. However, sometimes people have to make tough choices. We let go of that which we love hoping that they will be happy. We say goodbye even when we know it’s going to hurt. We smile yet deep down we wish life had taken a different course. We continue to love even when it hurts. Until the day our hearts have had enough of sorrow and start healing again.

2014 taught me a few things about love. Love is a conscious choice. Not the love that is only comprised by feelings, no. The love that seeks the happiness of your partner. The love that forgives, honours and respects. Your partner may not always do what is right, but if you chose to love them, then teach them what is right. Love is beautiful. Letting go of someone you love is never easy, but you shouldn’t regret it. Love is a beautiful thing. It makes you happy for no good reason. It makes you more patient. It teaches you things about yourself that you never knew. The one thing love does, is that it reminds you of who you are. A beautiful soul.

So to my dear friend, who was once my partner, thank you. Thank you for the good times. For the laughter, for the arguments, for the dates and for the castles we built in the air. Mostly though, I am grateful for the person I am today. I am a girl who laughs more. I am a girl that has learnt to give herself more credit. I am also a girl who has known that love is beautiful because I saw it through your eyes. I know that one day I will find my missing piece, but even now I am grateful to have loved you.

I know that we will always cross paths, but I also know I have a friend in you. So this piece I dedicate to you. A friend.
Love,

Jacquie